The AD-FMComms3-EBZ is an FMC board for the AD9361, a highly integrated RF Agile Transceiver™.
While the complete chip level design package can be found on the the ADI web site. Information on the card, and how to use it, the design package that surrounds it, and the software which can make it work, can be found here.
The AD-FMCOMMS3-EBZ is a high-speed analog module designed to showcase the AD9361, a high performance, highly integrated RF transceiver intended for use in RF applications, such as 3G and 4G base station and test equipment applications, and software defined radios. Its programmability and wideband capability make it ideal for a broad range of transceiver applications.
The device combines an RF front end with a flexible mixed-signal baseband section and integrated frequency synthesizers, simplifying design-in by providing a configurable digital interface to a processor or FPGA. The AD9361 chip operates in the 70 MHz to 6 GHz range, covering most licensed and unlicensed bands. The chip supports channel bandwidths from less than 200 kHz to 56 MHz by changing sample rate, digital filters, and decimation, which are all programmable within the AD9361 itself.
The AD-FMCOMMS3-EBZ provides software developers and system architect who want a single platform to operate over a wider tuning range than the AD-FMCOMMS2-EBZ. RF performance expectations of this board must be tempered with the very wide band front end. It does meet the datasheet specifications at 2.4 GHz, but does not over the entire RF tuning range that the board supports. Typical performance data for the entire range (70 MHz – 6 GHz) which is supported by the platform is published within the board documentation.
This board is primarily intended for system investigation and bringing up various waveforms from a software team before custom hardware is complete. The objective being for designers to see waveforms, but not being concerned about the last 1dB or 1% EVM of performance. For performance-oriented platforms – please refer to the AD-FMCOMMS2-EBZ.
The purpose of the AD-FMComms3-EBZ is to provide an RF platform to software developers, system architects, etc, who want a single platform which operates over a much wider tuning range (70 MHz – 6 GHz). It’s expected that the RF performance of this platform can meet the datasheet specifications at 2.4 GHz, but not at the entire RF tuning range that the board supports (but it will work much better than the AD-FMCOMMS2-EBZover the complete RF frequency). We will provide typical performance data for the entire range (70 MHz – 6 GHz) which is supported by the platform. This is primarily for system investigation and bring up of various waveforms from a software team before their custom hardware is complete, where they want to see waveforms, but are not concerned about the last 1dB or 1% EVM of performance.
The AD-FMComms3-EBZ board is very similar to the AD-FMComms2-EBZ board with only one exception, the RX/TX RF differential to single ended transformer. The AD-FMComms3-EBZ is more targetted for wider tuning range applications, that is why we use the TCM1-63AX+ from Mini-Circuits as the RF transformer of choice. We affectionately call the FMCOMMS3-EBZ the “Software Engineers” platform, and the FMCOMMS2-EBZ, the “RF Engineers” platform to denote the difference.
SPECIFICATIONS & FEATURES
- Software tunable across wide frequency range (70 MHz to 6.0 GHz) with a channel bandwidth of <200 kHz to 56 MHz.
- Phase and frequency synchronization on both transmit and receive paths
- Allows high channel density
- Powered from single FMC connector
- Supports MIMO radio, with less than 1 sample sync on both ADC and DAC Includes schematics, layout, BOM, HDL, Linux drivers and application software
- Supports add on cards for spectrum specific designs (PA, LNA, etc.)
- General purpose design suitable for any software-designed radio application
- MIMO radio
- Point to point communication systems
- Femtocell/picocell/microcell base stations
Design a custom AD9361 based platform – AD-FMCOMMS3-EBZ Linux support
Analog Devices provides full Linux support for the AD-FMCOMMS2-EBZ/AD-FMCOMMS3-EBZ/AD-FMCOMMS4-EBZ/AD-FMCOMMS5-EBZ. Depending on which FPGA platform you are using the steps to perform to setup the system slightly differ:
microblaze – compiling/building linux kernel for Microblaze eval boards
ZC702, ZC706, ZED (Zynq)
Descriptions of the individual Linux device drivers for the different parts on the AD-FMCOMMS2-EBZ / AD-FMCOMMS3-EBZ / AD-FMCOMMS4-EBZ / AD-FMCOMMS5-EBZ can be found at:
AD9361: RF Agile Transceiver
AD7291: 8-Channel, I2C, 12-Bit SAR ADC with Temperature Sensor
The Zynq®-7000 SoC ZC702 Evaluation Kit includes all the basic components of hardware, design tools, IP, and pre-verified reference designs including a targeted design, enabling a complete embedded processing platform. The included pre-verified reference designs and industry-standard FPGA Mezzanine Connectors (FMC) allow scaling and customization with daughter cards.
Key Features & Benefits
- Optimized for quickly prototyping embedded applications using Zynq-7000 SoCs
- Hardware, design tools, IP, and pre-verified reference designs
- Demonstrates a embedded design, targeting video pipeline
- Advanced memory interface with 1GB DDR3 Component Memory
- Enabling serial connectivity with USB OTG, UART, IIC, CAN Bus
- Supports embedded processing with Dual ARM Cortex-A9 core processors
- Develop networking applications with 10-100-1000 Mbps Ethernet (GMII, RGMII and SGMII?)
- Implement Video display applications with HDMI out
- Expand I/O with the FPGA Mezzanine Card (FMC) interface